Virus Removal

Virus Removal

A virus infection on your computer is much more probable than you might think: most computers are infected with one of the millions of viral infections at any given time.  As fast as companies like Norton can work to identify and defend against new threats- new threats will continue to outpace them.  Virus removal can be a tricky business these days as more and more evolved computer viruses are created and unleashed on the public.  Many viruses these days are so sophisticated that a user cannot find them or delete them.  Some viruses will even act to prevent you from accessing your computer or installing an anti-virus program to root them out!

So what is the fix for you if your computer is running slow to due to a virus?  The fix is to find them, remove them safely, and alter your computer use habits to reduce the chance of their reintroduction to your system.  Virus removal can be accomplished: no matter the level of sophistication used to create the virus there are always tools we can use to fight back.

Assume You Are Infected

Many computer users have slow computers and immediately look to blame the machine: throw it out and buy a new one.  At what point though do we have “enough” computer to carry out the processes we need in a timely matter?  The truth is you most likely have way more than you need in disk space and processing speed.  The computer manufacturers prefer you blame the computer: it’s simple, you blame the computer, buy the latest one, and they get to keep you coming back for more.

Could it be something else that is causing your slow computer?  The simple answer is yes.  Your computer probably ran fast when you bought it, so what changed?  What changed is typically a virus introduced and now infecting your system.  If sophisticated government and corporate financial networks are regularly infected with computer viruses, what does this mean for the average user like you?  It means assume you are infected.  If your computer is slowing down something is causing it and the most common culprit is a virus.

Virus Removal and Avoidance

It’s one thing to remove the virus that is infecting your computer and making it slow- it’s another to operate your computer in a manner in the future that helps reduce your risk of reinfection.  Virus removal has grown into a sophisticated computer science as malicious programmers work to develop a new and more damaging viruses.  In many cases a good anti-virus program can prevent upwards of 90% of new viral infections (assuming you update the database of viruses regularly).  But that still leaves you 10% vulnerable!

To remove viruses your system cannot prevent, you need to do some “Spring Cleaning” on your system now.  Virus removal can be complicated however and many new viruses now how to “hide” on your system and go undetected as they damage it.  There are many methods one can employ as well as more sophisticated programs available that can help to root out and eliminate most any virus.  Properly executing these programs (often in Safe-Mode) can usually do the trick to clean your system but keep in mind unless you change your computer use habits, you will most likely become infected again.  Make sure you are downloading only items you know are positively safe (usually from the manufacturers’ website is best), not sharing USB memory sticks, and avoiding clicking on links in email- you can go a long way towards reducing your risk for another virus infection.